|Job Description:|| |
With headquarters in West Palm Beach, Florida and offices in over 35 countries, Oxbow is consistently recognized by Forbes magazine as a one of the top privately held companies in the United States. Oxbow is global supplier of energy products that specializes in the sourcing, production, transportation & logistics of value-added industrial materials critical to a variety of manufacturing processes. Oxbow’s products are essential in the production of aluminum, steel, glass and cement and our specialty products are used in variety of innovative products including high performance plastics, solar panels, electronics and batteries.
Oxbow Calcining LLC is currently looking for a Laboratory Supervisor to join our team in Baton Rouge, LA. This position is responsible for performing tasks, as required, to support the operation of the plant’s quality assurance laboratory. Responsibilities include quality improvement, training, inspection, quality assurance, auditing, customer satisfaction and statistical quality control.
- Monitors, measures, and reviews analytical data and communicates results to pertinent departments.
- Monitors production data and oversees sampling and testing, taking corrective actions deemed appropriate for out of specification and product.
- Establishes analytical objectives for laboratory staff members and develop strategies for accomplishing this end through developed ASTM/ISO testing methods.
- Conceptualizes and establishes laboratory staff work schedule in providing an effective and efficient data/information channel for the operating group.
- Consults with and provides data interpretations for department heads and customers as requested.
- Maintains and supervises laboratory statistical process control program.
- Supervises special testing programs and experimental design requirements.
- Issues information to technical manager in support of the generation of customer shipment reports including certificates of analysis, quality control reports and requests for waiver.
- Determines required levels of personal protective equipment.
- Provides regular hygiene, housekeeping and equipment maintenance inspections and training.
- Assists the technical manager, where needed, for the selection, assignment, development, review and appraisal of potential laboratory candidates and other in-service actions.
- Calibrates, maintains and performs preventive maintenance on laboratory instrumentation
- Ensures work practices are in compliance with safety, environmental, and quality requirements.
- Ensures compliance with timekeeping, payroll, attendance and all plant procedures or guidelines.
- Supervises laboratory staff, 6-7 people
- Develops, writes, trains, and implements new procedures when needed.
- Provides training on equipment usage and safety.
- Conducts audits, inspections, and safety meetings.
- Purchases laboratory equipment, parts and supplies.
- Implements ISO program requirements into daily activities.
- Cross trains as needed as with laboratory and environmental required tasks.
- Supports management with special projects and workflow process improvements and other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Communicates clearly and concisely in a variety of communication settings and styles. Effectively tailors the message to the needs of the audience.
- Establishes goals and objectives which are specific, measurable, achievable and relevant.
- Lays out work in a well-planned and organized manner.
- Able to self-direct work with minimal guidance
- Good knowledge of Microsoft systems (Word/Excel/PowerPoint)
- Valid driver’s license
- Strong leadership skills
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor's degree in a physical science required.
- Two years of experience in industrial laboratory experience preferred.
- Typically sits or stands for extended amount of time in front of a computer.
- May work outdoors which may include extreme working conditions and inclement weather conditions.
- As needed, lifts, carries, or otherwise moves and positions objects weighing up to 35 pounds.
- Must be able to work in confined spaces and in elevated work areas.
- Must train in safety requirements at the facility.
- Must be required to move about to coordinate work.
- Work may require occasional weekend and/or evening work.
- Must be able to travel as needed
- Will be on call as needed
- Ability to communicate or exchange ideas by means of verbal or written word to impart information to clients or to the public and to convey detailed Instructions to other workers.
NOTE: This job description reflects the company’s assignment of essential functions; it does not prescribe or restrict the tasks that may be assigned. Assigned tasks are subject to change at any time due to company discretion, job requirements, reasonable accommodation or other reasons.
Oxbow Carbon LLC is an EOE/ADA employer.