|Job Description:|| |
Responsible for assisting the senior operator in the operation of the kilns to ensure maximum contributions to the safety, quality and productivity of the plant.
Essential Job Duties:
• Collects calcined coke samples for quality control analysis. Performs special collection and analysis as needed.
• Prepares calcined coke samples for real density test.
• Cleans up spillage and reclaim uncontaminated coke.
• Operates all mobile equipment required to perform job duties and check oil, water, battery and fuel.
• Observes calcining operations in the course of performing job duties and promptly report unusual happenings to the senior operator.
• Makes minor repairs and adjustments to equipment. Assists maintenance personnel on an as-needed basis in the repair and adjustment of equipment.
• Notifies senior operator whenever leaving work area.
• Maintains emergency equipment, such as flashlight, rain suit, and kiln drive bolts, for possible use during a storm.
• Maintains availability when on standby during off-duty hours.
• Ensures that the work areas, equipment, and work practices are in compliance with the regulatory codes, statues, and company requirements.
• Reports all injuries, regardless of seriousness, immediately to the supervisor.
• Advises the supervisor on matters relating to the improvement and the continued safe functioning of plant equipment and facilities.
• Assists in the development of written safety procedures prepared for jobs performed in the material handling department.
• Follows ISO procedures to complete duties as required by the job specification.
• Advises the supervisor on matters relating to the improvement and maintenance of coke quality and workmanship.
• Makes recommendations whenever possible regarding potential improvements in operation or maintenance of plant facilities through changes and modifications in material, equipment, procedures and schedules.
• Ensures compliance with safety, personnel, timekeeping, payroll, attendance and other plant procedures or guidelines.
• Maintains communications with the supervisor and coworkers on matters concerning daily activities.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Communicates clearly and concisely in a variety of communication settings and styles. Effectively tailors the message to the needs of the audience.
• Establishes goals and objectives which are specific, measurable, achievable and relevant.
• Lays out work in a well-planned and organized manner.
Education and Experience:
• Bachelor's Degree preferred. Associates Degree required.
• Typically works in plant environment, which may include extreme working conditions and inclement weather conditions.
• As needed, lifts, carries or otherwise moves and positions objects weighing up to 50 pounds.
• Must be able to work in confined spaces and in elevated work areas.
• Must be able to handle working with coal and petroleum coke products and be around vapors with respiratory protection.
• Must be able to work with wrenches, pipe wrenches and other tools; requires turning and tightening nuts and bolts.
• Must be able to load and unload heavy equipment, either with manual labor or by operating heavy machinery.
• Must be able to pass general physically fit testing.
• Must train in safety and hazmat requirements at the facility.
• Must be required to move about to coordinate work.
• Ability to communicate or exchange ideas by means of verbal or written word to impart information to clients or to the public and to convey detailed instructions to other workers.
• Work may require occasional weekend and/or evening work.
• Must be able to travel as needed.